Built ca. 1647 – 1652
Gaupne Old Church is a stately and simple log church that replaced an earlier stave church in the same area. Several pieces of the stave church were reused, including the side planks of the western portals. These are decorated with carvings of snakes and dragons, writhing together. The interior is richly and colourfully decorated.
Gaupne Old Church is today the venue of an annual St. Olaf’s Day service. The church building was given to the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Monuments by the church authorities in 1909.
Much of the remaining material from the old stave church has been reused. The West portal may be dated to the latter half of the 12th century.